Unwritten Prophecy


Sunday, October 24, 2010

Marques Toliver on Jools Holland!

I've been following Marques' work ever since our first encounter in the summer of '09 in Williamsburg in what I'd call a serendipitous moment, to say the least. The first time his bow caressed the violin I was in shock and since then he's never seized to surprise me. His lyrics are as poignant as the sun slipping through the cracks of cloudy storms, transcending conventional ideals to empathetic wisdom. This past summer I had the pleasure to witness, along with a small assortment of people, Marques' performance in a lavish Soho loft on the most beautiful summer eve.


The picture describes the aesthetic, maybe the mood too, but it fails to explain the catharsis I felt listening to Marques' words resonating off the brick walls, surrounded by a niche of intellectuals, friends and family, bubbling with beer and wine but infatuated with musical grace.

Now, only months later, he's on Jools Holland. He's going to be famous. He inspires me.

No comments:

Post a Comment