Unwritten Prophecy


Friday, March 4, 2011

Interview with Sandi Kero: Inside Scoop on New York's high-end Club Scene


I've known Sandi Kero since his hustling days back in high school and since then he's become prominent in New York's nightclub scene, promoting some of the cities hottest venues from Greenhouse to Veranda and Juliet. Here's the convo we had:


1. What’s your name? Tell me about your profession?

Sandi k. Nightlife club host.

2. You dress very well, is there a dress code when it comes to promoting?

There is no direct dress code to this shit, the idea is to mesh in multiple styles. I wear something that every type of person can understand and maybe relate to.


3. Who’s the coolest person you’ve ever met as a promoter? Tell me about the experience.

The "coolest" person I've met has gotta be Busta Rhymes. Very down to earth person. He appreciates everyone around him and from the couple minutes that I got to speak to him he seems to have his life and buisness in order. He was the only one in the club drinking water, by the way.


4. What’s the most difficult thing you’ve had to do as a promoter?

I would say finding clients. My job is to host tables and with that I get free bottles to help entertain the crowd. People who know that makes it harder for me to get them to spend money. Who wants to spend money on a bottle that costs 500 dollars after tax when they have me that can do it for free??

5. What are the pros and cons of promoting?

The upside to promoting is that you don't have to sit at a desk and you don't have to take orders...u choose the days u wanna host and ur there from 1 am to 4 am. 3 hours of work for minimal 200 dollars.

The downside is the drinking and sleeping pattern. If you can host and not drink then you're golden. But it might be one of the hardest things to do when everyone around you is vibing and dancing the night away. some may disagree but if your in the club and your not drinking you're not having a goodnight.



6. What’s your honest opinion about club life?

My opinion about night life is that its dangerous and not for everyone. You can very easily get sucked into the fast life and forget about your goals. Trust me I see it all the time. 40 year olds doing the same thing I'm doing is not exactly an accomplishment even though they're probably standing next to someone who is accomplished

7. Do you have any future plans to use promoting to your advantage?

Not only do I have future plans but current plans where promoting puts me a step ahead. After a year on the job I know the in's and out's of running a nightclub. From what a succesful bottle waitress needs to look like to what a DJ needs to sound like. If all goes well I plan on opening my own club by the age of 25. Any later and I'm moving on. Even thought it seems soon. 4 years is more then enough time to blueprint the game plan.


8. Who are your biggest influencers? Why?

In this game there is noone that can really influence you. There's one goal and that's owning the hottest club in New York city.


9. If you could own a club, which would it be?

If I could own any club it would be greenhouse. If the right dj is spinning the vibe in the room is ridiculous. Perfect set up.




10. Any words of inspiration?

My word of advice is keep the club as a stress reliever and not as a hobby or job.

No comments:

Post a Comment