Unwritten Prophecy


Friday, March 4, 2011

What is Inspiration?

My recent lack of creativity has forced me contemplate and wonder what it is that inspires me. What is true inspiration? I’m currently listening to Radiohead’s new album King of Limbs and it has inspired me to reflect on myself, the inner and outer self, in order to better understand and come to terms with who I am. Here are some words of inspiration from their first single, Lotus Flower:

Slowly we unfurl
As lotus flowers
'Cos all I want is the moon upon a stick
I dance around the pit
The darkness is beneath
I can't kick your habit
Just to feed your fast ballooning head
Listen to your heart

No one is perfect. Scrutinizing ourselves on a physical level only leads us to self-resentment, especially when it derives from things we can’t change. It's just counterproductive. Yet, we do it on a daily basis and I times it's so deeply ingrained in us that we can't even control ourselves. Which is why we have to look for positive drives in our lives. Woe that rhythms. I’ve been regularly going to the gym for almost a year now and my self-confidence has increased dramatically, making me a calmer and more understanding person. In some ways it’s even worked towards strengthening my relationship with my mother. Having seen these types of results has inspired me to achieve bigger and better things, from the music I’m currently working on to my education and clothing company.

When I’m in my room in the middle of the night, with no on to explain my sentiments, all I want to do is get on my mic and purge because it’s sometimes difficult to say and admit to certain details of our lives. Music gives me that outlet. When I hear a beat start I just want to let the weight off my chest, say exactly what I want to say and let it resonate. It’s kind of like playing rugby. On the field I’m a vicious lion, tackling and fighting for a “try”. But all that emotion and angst stays on the field, off the field I’m just me. No hard feelings.

Of all people Kanye West is a true inspiration to me. No matter what people say, or how much shit he gets for being and acting the way he does, Kanye strives on. That’s inspiring to me because he's not afraid to be HIMSELF. Listening to the GOOD Fridays Mixtape, his lyrics and the ensembles he bring to his tracks is truly admirable. I hope to bring similar thought-provoking music to the public, someday. Here's one of my favorite songs, Don't Look Down:

No comments:

Post a Comment