Unwritten Prophecy


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Interview With Up-And-Coming Model Melissa Basaran


(Berman Fenelus, December 2010)

Melissa Basaran is not only one of my best friends, but she’s also been a true inspiration throughout my life. She's the poster-child for Unwritten Prophecy Clothing and an up-and-coming model, whose focused ambitions inspire my own passions and creativity. I spoke to Melissa about her endeavors, here's the interview:

1. What’s your name? Tell me a bit about yourself?

Melissa Ekim Basaran. I am a 19-year-old full-time student at the New School University and part-time model. I work with a production design company as an office assistant and a prop shopper. I was born in Istanbul, Turkey and raised in Manhattan, New York.


(Rachel Fisher, August 2010, Hudson River Urban Mermaid)

2. How did you first get into modeling?

I had been acting semi-professionally for four years and in 2005, I began going to open calls and various auditions. My mom took me to an open call for TeenPeople and I booked the job! I went home that day sulking because I had thought that there was no way in hell that they would book me. When I found out—I probably danced around my apartment for at least an hour. I knew then that this feeling was too great to ever pass up and that I would never be the same again.

The shoot was a fashion story on the astrological signs; each model was to do her own sign (Scorpio, in my case). Each designer was to reflect this sign; I wore a black Dolce and Gabbana dress. I was extremely nervous and stiff—probably because I was only 13.



(TeenPeople, 2005)

3. You have this great charisma when it comes to modeling, what is it you enjoy most about it?

Thank you! I guess a lot of it comes from acting. A shoot is to convey a particular emotion just like any scene. I also enjoy the interaction with the photographer and how an initial emotion or incentive could completely transform solely based on the interaction I encounter with my surroundings.


(Richard Gin, November 2010)

4. Who is your biggest inspiration, why?

I’ve always been inspired by Jessica Stam. She’s so stunning—she also modeled for one of my favorite Turkish shop, Vakko.


5. Where, if anywhere, would you like modeling to take you?

As of now, I’ve been working on getting my face out there. I’m currently weighing out my options for agencies. My main focus as now, however, is school. We’ll see!

6. Which photographers would you be interested in working with if you had the chance?

I’ve always dreamt of meeting, if not working with, Patrick Demarchelier. He’s quite eccentric and yet his photography is so classic and timeless. Annie Leibovitz would be another photographer that is quite electrifying!



Photography by Patrick Demarchelier

7. What was it like modeling for “Marie Claire”? How’d you get the gig?

When I moved back to Istanbul in 2006, I signed with a modeling and acting agency. Through the agency I was given great opportunities to pose for Marie Claire twice and InStyle once. The second time I modeled for Marie Claire, I was featured in an article entitled “Watch Out for These Girls!” It featured four Turkish models on the rise in the industry. That shoot was pretty amazing as it felt more like a show and tell project. I had to bring objects and items of clothing that I thought best represented my life at that moment. I shot with my guinea pig! It was quite an overwhelmingly profound moment to see my face taking up a whole page in the magazine.



(Marie Claire, 2007, Watch out for these Girls!)

8. You know every girl wants your lips. Just a thought.

I did not know that! Thank you! How sweet.


9. Did you enjoy the shoot for Unwritten Prophecy Clothing?

The Unwritten Prophecy Clothing shoot was very welcoming from the beginning. I enjoyed the energy of the photographer, Thomas Garret, and of course you, Ricky and Illaria. I was really able to feed off of the exciting vibes of the area, Williamsburg, those involved with the shoot, and the random spectators. Even though it was in late November and we were dressed in practically nothing it made very little difference since we were having so much fun. Once the shoot had wrapped I definitely felt a new sense of kinship amongst those involved. It was truly a special experience. When's the next one?!



Photos By Thomas Garret

10. How does it feel to be the poster-child for Unwritten Prophecy Clothing?

I had found out that I was to be the "face" of Unwritten Prophecy Clothing after the deed had been done so I felt like it all happened very suddenly--but nonetheless it was amazing! I went to the site and I felt an overwhelming surge of accomplishment and happiness. To be the representative of an up-and-coming, bangin' clothing line is such an honor and a treat. I'm definitely anticipating the development of UP Clothing--I know it'll go amazing places!


Photography by Thomas Garret

11. Any words of inspiration?

All I can say at this junction of my life is to go after what you are passionate about, what you breathe for. Despite the murmurs of being crazy behind your back, or in front of your face, don’t let anyone stop you. Even if that means uprooting your seemingly comfortable surroundings because nothing will comfort you more than knowing that you did the best that you could have done while you had the chance. Corny? Perhaps. What can I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment